A comfortable living space becomes increasingly important as you age and plan for retirement. With small changes like installing a shower bar or motion-sensor lighting, you can ensure you have an accessible home that meets the needs of you and your family members. At The Home Depot, we can help you with these changes and show you which products will make a difference.
Prevent falls in the bathroom with products that make shower, bath and toilet use safer.
Slip & Fall Safety
Reduce the risk of falling or tripping in your home by adding handrails to staircases, clearing away clutter and putting down carpet tape for slip-free rugs.
Grip & Reach Assistance
Make a few small changes like installing lever door handles and faucets to aid mobility and add ease to day-to-day tasks.
Create a more accessible kitchen with the KraftMaid Passport Series. It's the perfect choice for people with physical or height limitations and for multigenerational households. Passport Series cabinetry offers innovative solutions that improve usability, convenience, efficiency and manoeuvrability, while providing fine design features at a more affordable price than expensive custom cabinetry.Learn More
- Build some counter space at lower levels (about 16") in your kitchen so it is easily accessible to seated persons.
- Choose a pullout design or attachment for your kitchen faucet - the flexible hose facilitates reach to any part of your sink.
- Make ranges and cooktops easier to operate by selecting models with front controls.
- Consider lever handles for faucets, which are more user-friendly to turn on and off. Another good option is a single-handle faucet, which allows for easy one-hand operation and temperature control.
- Leave at least 18 inches of space from the wall on either side of your toilet for walker and chair access. A higher-placed toilet seat also helps with mobility.
- Hang a full-length mirror for all-height viewing access.
- Choose lights that operate by touch rather than switches, which can be hard to reach. If using switches, opt for an easy-to-control toggle variety.
- Eliminate the need to manually adjust lighting in certain areas by installing automatic timers and sensors that turn lights on and off at prescribed intervals.
Let our trained installation professionals help improve the accessibility and comfort of your home.
Walk-In Tub Installation
Wheel Chair Ramp Construction
Specialty Cabinets & Vanities
Request a Quote
*Available in Ontario Only.
Home Depot Consumer Credit Cardholders enjoy exclusive offers and promotions. Subject to credit approval.