Blinds & Shades
Shop Blinds & Shades
Always take proper measurements of the width, height and depth of your window openings before making a buying decision. Also decide if you plan to mount your window treatment inside or outside the window casing.
- Measure the inside width of the window frame at the top, middle and bottom (for vertical blinds, only measure the top)
- Record the narrowest width (do not make any deductions)
- Measure the inside height of the window frame at the left, middle and right
- Record the longest height to the nearest 1/8" (for verticals, use the shortest length)
If you want the blinds to not touch the window sill, deduct 1/4". If there is no sill, measure to where the blind is to reach.
- Measure the outside width of the window frame
- Add at least 3" for overlap (8" for verticals)
- When deciding on width, consider how much overlap you need
- Measure from the sill to the position of the top of the shade
- If there is no sill, measure to where the blind is to reach
- Add at least 3" for overlap
For verticals, use the shortest length. Allow 3" above and below the window opening or moulding. For ceiling to floor, deduct 1/2" for carpet clearance.
Blinds and Shades
Choosing the right window blinds or shades is a big part of pulling together the overall style and design for the inside of your home. They not only help block the sunlight which helps keep your energy costs down by naturally cooling your home, but they also create a privacy barrier, stopping people from being able to see inside. There are many styles to choose from, each with their own unique style and look.
Types of Blinds & Shapes
Vertical blinds are long and can be turned from left to right to let light in. They’re best suited for bigger or longer windows. Horizontal blinds or Venetian blinds can be opened and closed similarly, but are recommended for shorter, smaller windows.
Blackout blinds keep a room dark so you can sleep easier and longer and can help people with different work hours – such as nights – sleep during the day while it’s bright outside.
Roller blinds or Roller shades are made from one piece of fabric and roll up and down to cover your windows. They come in various patterns and designs to fit any style making them a great, affordable choice.
Roman blinds or Roman shades can be raised or lowered by pulling a cord through rings sewn on the back of the fabric. When raised, the fabric stacks in an even horizontal fold. They’re a classic look and a great addition to your home décor.
Whatever blind or shade style you’re looking for, you’ll find the look you want at The Home Depot Canada.