Flexible & Easy Returns
You can return items purchased in-store or online at any Canadian Home Depot store, or you can arrange to have your online order picked up by contacting Customer Support.
Items purchased at one of our Canadian stores can only be returned in-store. For fast, easy returns, keep your receipt. It not only ensures you get the proper credit for your purchase, but it also helps our associates process your return quickly. Returns with a valid sales receipt within 90 days of purchase will be exchanged or refunded in the same tender as the original purchase.
- Any purchase made by credit card will be refunded to the original credit card.
- Any purchase made by cash will be refunded in cash.
- Any purchase made by debit card will be refunded to the original debit card.
- Any purchase made by a cheque that has cleared the 15-day waiting period will be refunded in cash.
- Any purchase made by a cheque that has not cleared the 15-day waiting period may be refunded as a store credit.
- Any purchase made online by gift card will be refunded to the original form of payment.
- Any purchase made in store by store credit, gift certificate or gift card will be refunded as store credit.
**Subject to the Return Policy Exceptions below.
A store credit or credit to a Home Depot Commercial Credit Card, or The Home Depot Commercial Revolving Charge Account may be issued for the original price.
**Subject to the Return Policy Exceptions below.
If you made your purchase in the past 90 days by credit, debit, or cheque we may be able to look up your receipt for you. If you made your purchase in the past 365 days with a The Home Depot Consumer Credit Card, The Home Depot Commercial Revolving Charge, or The Home Depot Commercial Account, we will be able to look up your receipt for you.
If we are unable to look up your receipt because you did not pay with one of the options listed above, a store credit or credit to your Home Depot Commercial credit account may be issued based on the lowest selling price.
We require an acceptable form of government-issued photo identification (see below for more details) for non-receipted returns and returns generated from purchases made with store credits. These returns are subject to verification system approval. Information collected in connection with purchase transactions and merchandise returns will be used by The Home Depot for the purpose of fraud detection and making return authorization decisions.
For your convenience, items purchased on homedepot.ca can be returned to any of our Canadian stores within 90 days of purchase, subject to the Return Policy Exceptions below.
If your online purchase was made with a The Home Depot Consumer Credit Card, The Home Depot Commercial Revolving Charge, or The Home Depot Commercial Account, you have 365 days from date of purchase to return the items to any of our Canadian stores to receive a full refund, unless otherwise noted below. All existing Return Policy rules apply.
Bring the item(s) and your shipping confirmation email to your local Home Depot store for credit to your original tender or a Home Depot store credit. If PayPal was used during your purchase, your PayPal account will be credited for the return amount. Merchandise must be returned in unused, like-new condition. Please see Return Policy Exceptions below for further details.
Online returns can also be made by contacting our Customer Support within 90 days of purchase only, regardless of payment method. An online purchase made with a Home Depot Credit Card, The Home Depot Commercial Revolving Charge, or The Home Depot Commercial Account cannot be returned via phone past 90 days from date of purchase. We'll arrange for your item to be picked up and returned, as well as provide you with a return authorization number (RA#).
Reconditioned merchandise damaged or lost in transit may not be replaced depending on availability of items in like condition. Where the merchandise is eligible for return, refunds will be provided in such cases. Please follow the return instructions listed above.
Please report damaged or missing items within 3 days of delivery by calling toll free 1-800-628-0525.
Please note items that use flammable liquids or gases cannot be returned via courier or LTL because they create a safety hazard. For example, if you fill your leaf blower with fuel, it cannot be returned by mail even if you drain the tank before shipping. Please visit one of our Canadian stores to return or call 1-800-628-0525 for instructions.
Return Policy Exceptions
- Some Special Order returns are subject to a 15% restocking fee. Cancellations may also be subject to a 15% restocking fee. See the service desk for details.
- We require an acceptable form of government-issued photo identification (see below for more details) for non-receipted returns and returns generated from purchases made with store credits. These returns are subject to verification system approval. Information collected in connection with purchase transactions and merchandise returns will be used by The Home Depot for the purpose of fraud detection and making return authorization decisions.
- Gift cards, gift certificates and store credit cannot be exchanged or returned for cash, credit or cheque.
- Holiday décor items, air conditioners, generators, furniture, televisions, printers, computers and unused gas powered equipment must be returned within 30 days of delivery or in-store purchase. Any product damage and/or defects must be reported within 30 days.
- Major appliances are non-returnable. Items should be inspected thoroughly at the time of delivery. If you are not satisfied, refuse the item before signing the delivery receipt. Be sure to report any product defects or damages with the delivery agent. Damages must be reported within 48 hours of delivery. After 48 hours, you may visit your local store or call 1-800-759-2054 for assistance.
- Used lawn tractors, lawn mowers, snow throwers and gas powered equipment (excluding generators) will be repaired if possible in accordance with manufacturer's warranty through a manufacturer authorized service contractor. Please contact Customer Support for further information.
- Yard to You bulk landscaping products must be returned within 30 days of delivery. We can only accept returns of unused products and the packaging cannot be damaged (split/ripped). If packaging was damaged at delivery, please contact Customer Support at 1-800-628-0525.
- Donations to The Home Depot Canada Foundation cannot be refunded.
- Gift cards, gift certificates and store credits
- Custom-made products and custom-tinted paint department products
- Standby generators
- Spas, hot tubs
- Utility trailers
Cheque Acceptance Policy
- Cheques must be made payable to The Home Depot and contain pre-printed information.
- Returned cheques are subject to a service charge of $25 or the maximum amount allowed by law.
- Cheques returned for insufficient or uncollected funds, combined with the service charges, may be debited electronically from your account or collected using a bank draft from your account.
Acceptable Forms of ID
You may be asked to present an acceptable form of government-issued photo identiﬁcation for purchases and/or returns. Acceptable forms of ID include unexpired federal- or provincial-issued photo ID including driver’s licence, military ID and passports. Your ID number/province will be collected and used for the purpose of fraud detection and making return authorization decisions. This data is transferred to and accessible by The Home Depot’s third-party return verification system outside of Canada (including in the United States) and may be accessible under foreign laws. As a security measure, your ID number is electronically converted into a substitute number. This substitute number and province are the only data retained and used from the ID.
To learn more, visit our Privacy & Security Statement.
Other Terms & Conditions
- Cash and cash equivalent purchases, exceeding $1,000, may be refunded as mail cheques sent from The Home Depot’s corporate office.
- Receipts for purchases made with credit, debit or cheque within the last 90 days may be located in our system. Ask about receipt look up.
- The Home Depot reserves the right to limit or refuse to accept the return of merchandise at any time and for any reason.
- Purchases made at Homedepot.com or other Home Depot companies may not be returned at The Home Depot Canada, unless the item is stocked or sold in the returning store.
- Items purchased at The Home Depot U.S., The Home Depot Canada or The Home Depot Mexico may not be returned across borders.
- Store credits cannot be used to purchase gift cards.
- Purchases made with a Customer Agreement must be cancelled from the store they were purchased from.
- Purchases made with a Customer Agreement can be returned to any location in Canada.