Wreath and Garland Types
Celebrating the holidays with a wreath or garland is a long-established custom in countries all across the globe. Traditionally, these items have been made from the fragrant branches of an evergreen, but now you can choose between fresh foliage and a variety of artificial models. Each type has its merits, and the one that's right for you depends on your decorating preferences.
Those looking for something more distinct may want to consider a designer model made from such items as beads, glass, feathers, silk flowers or other unique materials. Keep in mind that wreaths and garlands naturally complement one another and can be used together to achieve beautiful results.
Planning and Placement
Before you begin a holiday decorating project, take a few minutes to think about your objectives. Are you aiming for a more traditional look, do you have a particular theme in mind or do you prefer an eclectic mix of styles? Next, take an inventory of locations that are ideally suited to the display of a wreath or garland.
Choice spots for wreaths include your front door, prominent walls both indoors and out, above your fireplace or any other space that could use a cheerful accent. Garlands can be hung along balcony railings, placed around door frames, draped across mantels, wrapped around pillars or strung along stairway banisters. Once you've selected a location, you'll need to consider size and decide between fresh or artificial foliage.
- Fresh wreaths and garlands are ideally suited to outdoor installations
- Artificial wreaths and garland displayed outside should be durable and weather-resistant
- Artificial garland can be connected for longer runs
- Wreaths come in a wide range of diameters from 10" or less to several feet or more
- Garland thickness varies anywhere from 1" to 20" or more
Artificial Garlands and Wreaths
Like artificial trees, garlands and wreaths that imitate the look of real foliage offer all the beauty of fresh branches with very little care and maintenance. They're also reusable, so you can enjoy them year after year.
Artificial wreaths and garlands are available in pre-lit configurations, including mini, micro mini, LED and globe light options. Some models come with added embellishments, such as flocked or frosted needles, bows, ribbon, pinecones, berries, silk flowers and other holiday-themed decorations. These pre-decorated wreaths and garlands come in an array of styles, making it easy to find one that matches your décor. Designer garlands and wreaths made from such diverse materials as acrylic, glass, beads and other items offer a more contemporary look.
- Artificial wreaths and garland are an ideal solution for those with allergies
- Heavy-gauge flexible wiring allows for easier shaping of the branches
- Garlands with end-to-end lighting allow easy connection of multiple strands
- Battery-operated lights are an ideal solution for illuminating wreaths
Fresh-cut Garlands and Wreaths
Fresh-cut wreaths and garland are a popular choice when it comes to creating a fragrant and festive holiday atmosphere. They're typically constructed from the branches of trees known for their pleasant aroma and excellent needle retention, such as the Balsam and Noble Firs. These, however, are not your only choices. Cedar, pine, spruce and other species are also good options (availability will vary by region).
Fresh-cut garlands and wreaths tend to be more traditional in style, usually coming either plain or with a simple bow. More elaborately decorated options can be found, though many people prefer to add their own ornaments and accents. Fresh-cut branches will last a long time when placed outdoors. If you wish to use them indoors, simply mist the wreath or garland with water from time to time to help them retain moisture and prevent premature loss of needles.
- Fir branches are a popular choice due to their fresh fragrance and durability
- Embellishments such as pinecones, silk flowers, bows or ribbon make a stylish addition
- Prevent premature needle loss by avoiding installation in drafty areas or next to heat sources
- Low-heat lighting such as micro, micro mini or LED lights are ideal for fresh-cut wreaths and garland
||Made from the branches of real trees and selected for their fragrance and durability
- Choose from fir, pine, spruce and other tree varieties
- Offers a simple, traditional look
- May include a decorative bow
- Ideal for outdoor use
- Can be used indoors if needles are kept hydrated
- Single-season use only
|Imitates the look of a fresh-cut wreath or garland while offering multiple seasons of use
- Realistic varieties include fir, pine, spruce and other tree types
- Available in pre-lit and pre-decorated configurations
- Flocked or frosted tips give the impression of snow
- Designed for use both indoors and out
- Outdoor wreaths and garland should be UV- and weather-resistant
- Multiple-season use
|Created in the shape of a wreath or garland with non-traditional materials for a unique, distinctive look
- May feature bold or brightly coloured needles
- Can be constructed from materials such as acrylic, glass, feathers, silk flowers and more
- Ideal for contemporary or unique holiday decorating
- Sometimes strung on the Christmas tree as an additional embellishment
- Multiple-season use
When it comes to displaying holiday wreaths or garland, there are a number of helpful devices designed to make installation simple and hassle-free. Choose functional holders that work invisibly behind the scenes or more ornate pieces designed to become a part of your holiday decorations.
Hangers and hooks constructed from brass, nickel-plated metal and other durable materials hold wreaths securely in place while providing a stylish accent. Ties and grabbers allow you to attach garland to a variety of surfaces with a firm, solid grip and can be hidden discreetly within the natural foliage.
- Wreath hangers come in a variety of styles to complement your holiday décor
- Zip ties can be used to secure garland while remaining completely hidden from view
- Fish line is a strong, nearly invisible thread that can be used to drape or suspend garland
- Standard hooks, nails and other fasteners can also be used to hold wreaths and garland
Simply dust off your artificial garland and place it in a plastic container or bin for protected storage. Larger items such as oversized wreaths will benefit from being placed in specially designed storage bags that keep dusts, insects and other hazards out.
|UL Listed Lights
|Underwriters Laboratory (UL) is an independent testing agency that verifies lights are safe for use under designated conditions. For pre-lit wreaths and garland, look for the UL listing to ensure safety.
||Special tubs, totes and storage bins designed to hold your holiday decorations help protect and preserve your items for use year after year.
|Themed Wreaths and Garlands
||Holiday decorating around a theme is a popular choice. Look for wreaths and garland that incorporate your favourite theme, such as a particular colour scheme, decorating style or even special collectible items.
Shop Christmas Décor by Category