Hollow core doors are made with interwoven corrugated hollow cells that support the outer face of the door; they are lightweight and ideal for low-traffic areas. Solid core doors are constructed from particleboard or fibre core materials, giving them solid weight that helps reduce noise.
All door styles are available as prehung (which includes the jamb and frame) or as slab (which includes just the door itself); most doors are enclosed in jambs that frame the opening.
Installation Considerations for Interior Doors
To ensure proper installation, first determine the required door swing and handle placement. Regardless of whether the door swings away from you or toward you, if the handle is on the left side, it is a right-hand door and, if the handle is on the right, it's a left-hand door. Replacement doors should have the same measurements as old doors. When purchasing doors for a new area, measure the width of the doorway at the top, middle and bottom and use the smallest measurement. To determine a rough opening size, add 2-1/2" to the width and 2" to the height
- Available in 1-3/8" and 1-3/4" thicknesses
- Standard widths include 18", 20", 24", 28", 30", 32" and 36" doors
- Standard heights include 80", 84" and 96" doors
- Customized sizes are available in a range of different designs
- To measure for a prehung door, remove the interior casing and measure the opening