Year Round Rebates
Canada Greener Homes Grant
Through the Government of Canada’s Greener Homes Initiative, homeowners can receive up to $5,000 to cover a portion of the costs associated with completing energy-efficiency home upgrades (additional provincial incentives may also be available). They can also receive up to $600 towards the mandatory pre- and post-retrofit EnerGuide evaluations and may be eligible for up to $40,000 in an interest-free loan from the Government of Canada.
Who is Eligible for the Grant?
Homeowners in Canada are eligible. Only existing homes are eligible - new homes are not. Only one homeowner per home can register. Homeowners will be required to provide proof of ownership to demonstrate that the home they are registering is their primary residence, including:
- Single and semi-detached houses
- Row housing and townhomes
- All season cottages
- Mobile homes on a permanent foundation
- Permanently moored floating homes
- Low-rise multi-unit residential buildings*
- Mixed use buildings, residential portion only*
*over three story or over 600 m2 in footprint are not eligible homes under the initiative
Which Categories Are Eligible for the Grant?
|Category||Details||Maximum Rebate Available|
|Home Insulation||Update your eligible attic/ceiling, exterior wall, exposed floor, basement or foundation, and crawlspace||up to $5,000|
|Air Sealing||Perform air sealing to improve the air-tightness of your home to achieve the air-change rate target||up to $1,000|
|Windows and doors||Replace your windows or glass doors with ENERGY STAR certified models||up to $5,000|
|Thermostats||Add a smart thermostat to help improve your comfort and save money on your energy bill (must be combined with another retrofit)||$50|
|Heating||Make the switch to more energy-efficient heating equipment to save on your utility bill and reduce your carbon footprint||up to $5,000|
|Renewable Energy||Install photovoltaic solar panels to convert sunlight energy into electricity||up to $5,000|
|Resiliency measures||Incentives to protect your home and your family from environmental damages (must be combined with another retrofit)||up to $2,625|
- Register for the program here: Canada.ca/greener-homes-grant.
- Book an EnerGuide evaluation by an advisor registered by NRCan. A list of approved energy advisors is available when you register for the program at Canada.ca/greener-homes-grant.
- Review EnerGuide energy efficiency home evaluation. This evaluation will identify eligible energy efficient upgrades for your home.
- Document your retrofit journey. Remember to keep all receipts. To be eligible, the retrofits must begin with an EnerGuide home evaluation, including the invoices for the evaluation and for all the retrofit work.
- Complete the post-retrofit evaluation upon completion of the upgrade. This evaluation assesses the performance of the home following retrofits/renovations.
- Submit receipts through the government portal for reimbursement