Privacy & Security
Effective Date: January 1, 2004
Last Revision Date: September 22, 2023
1. The Home Depot Privacy and Security Statement
The Home Depot values and respects the privacy of its customers and visitors. While operating our business and interacting with you, we collect, use, and disclose personal information. We do so to process and fulfill your orders, to improve our in-store and digital offerings, to create consistent in-store and digital experiences for you, to protect the rights and information of our customers and our company, and for the other purposes disclosed in this Privacy and Security Statement.
This Privacy and Security Statement provides you with information about how we collect, use, and disclose personal information, the governance policies and practices we have in place to protect this information, and describes choices and rights available regarding your personal information. If you have any questions, please contact us via the channels listed below.
- About this Policy
- Information We Collect
- How Information is Collected
- How We Use Information
- Transfers to Service Providers for Processing
- Disclosures of Your Information
- Your Privacy Preferences
- Accessing or Correcting Your Personal Information
- Our Sites and Children
- How We Protect, Store, and Transfer Your Information
- Contact Us
- Changes to this Privacy and Security Statement
- Cookies and Similar Technologies
- The Home Depot Canada Foundation
This Privacy and Security Statement describes the privacy and information handling practices of Home Depot of Canada Inc. and its subsidiaries, divisions, affiliates, brands and other The Home Depot companies that link to this Privacy and Security Statement, including The Home Depot Canada Foundation, (subject to exceptions noted in The Home Depot Foundation section below) (collectively, "The Home Depot," "our," "us," or "we"). It applies to the information we collect in association with your interactions with us, including, but not limited to:
- Use of our websites, including mobile websites
- Visits to our stores or attendance at our events
- Downloading or use of our applications for mobile phones, tablets or other smart devices in which this Privacy and Security Statement appears
- Phone, live chat, email and other communications with us
- Social media interactions on our websites and other third-party websites like Facebook, YouTube, Pinterest, Google, Instagram, Threads and Twitter
- Viewing our online advertisements, including those displayed on our websites and mobile apps, as well as on third-party platforms or emails
- Interactions with our authorized service providers
This Privacy and Security Statement also applies to personal information that we receive from business partners and other third parties. You can find out more information about our collection of personal information below.
For information about our processing of personal information regarding current associates, former associates, and candidates, please see our Associate Privacy Statement.
We collect information when you visit our stores, when you contact us, when you interact with or use our digital offerings, and from business partners and other third parties.
Below is a summary of the categories of information we collect, some of which may qualify as “personal information” protected by privacy laws.
General information. This information includes name, email address, phone number, user name, physical address, device identifier, government-issued identification number, date of birth/age, licence plate number, and social media handle. For certain services, such as truck rentals or some equipment rentals, we may request that you present additional personal information and identification, such as a driver's licence and verification of insurance, to verify your eligibility for these services.
Payment information. This information includes credit or debit card, cheque, PayPal account, or gift card information, as well as available credit for The Home Depot credit card.
Commercial information. This information includes details of products or services purchased in-store and online, purchasing history, products or services you like, reviews you submit, or where you shop.
Account information. When you create an account on our websites or mobile applications, we collect the information you provide to us to register your account, such as your username, password and other account-related information.
Returns information. When you return a product to our stores or request a refund or exchange, you may be asked to provide your name, address, phone number and provide acceptable government-issued photo ID. We collect this information to process and track returns and to help detect and prevent fraud, make return authorization decisions and otherwise administer our loss prevention program. Learn more about our Return Policy.
Demographic information. This includes age, gender and any other demographic information you may choose to provide to us.
Location information. This information includes location based on IP address or mobile device location information. (Please see the Cookies and Similar Technologies section for additional information.)
User-generated content. We may collect any of the information or content you provide through our websites, mobile applications, or online forums.
Browsing and usage information. We collect information about how you interact with our website or mobile applications, including the items you view and the actions you take while using our services. We might also track the pages you visit, look at what website you came from, or what website you visit when you leave us. We collect this information using cookies and similar technologies. To control those technologies, please read Your Privacy Preferences and Cookies and Similar Technologies. Session replay software may be used to record and replay your interaction.
In-Store WiFi. When you choose to use our in-store WiFi, we collect information about the destination urls that you visit while using our in-store WiFi.
Device information. We may collect information about the device you use to access our services, including your IP (Internet Protocol) address and other related information such as its type of browser and operating system.
Video recordings and audio recordings. This information includes in-store CCTV and customer care calls. We may capture your image via closed circuit television cameras deployed in our stores, parking lots, warehouses and other facilities. We may capture audio recordings when you interact with our customer care associates.
Property Information. This information includes home and property measurements, square footage, public record information, ownership information, estimated home value, and lot size.
We collect information directly from you. The following are a few examples of when we collect information from you:
- During website or survey registration
- In connection with an online or in-store purchase or visit
- If you use an online forum, submit a question or answer to our Product Q & A, provide us with comments or reviews or contact our call centre
- If you upload or share a photo or other digital content through one of our websites, applications, or via social media interactions on third-party websites like Facebook or Twitter
- If you register for a loyalty program or apply for a The Home Depot credit card or a home improvement loan
- If you participate in a sweepstakes, contest, promotion, program, clinic or workshop
- If you rent equipment or vehicles or request a quote, warranty or other information
- If you return a product or use a rebate
- If you request we send you an electronic copy of your in-store receipt
- In connection with your interactions with us as a registered user of our websites. For example, when you use the features of our My Account tool like Express Checkout, Address Book, My Lists, My Project Guides, etc.
We collect personal information when you create an account on our website or mobile application. My Account registration is a service provided by our websites or mobile applications. You do not have to register to browse. We may require that you register with a My Account to make online purchases. When you register, we collect personal information that you provide such as your name, address, phone number, email address, and a username and password. You may also optionally provide information regarding your interests and home improvement projects or register your credit cards. This information may be used to help make your online shopping quicker and easier by pre-filling certain parts of your shopping information.
We collect information from or through social media.
- When you engage with our content on or through social networking websites, plug-ins and applications, you may allow us to have access to certain social media account information (e.g., name, username, email address, gender) as determined by the settings of the social media platforms to deliver the content or as part of the operation of the website, plug-in or application
- Such social media platforms may collect information about your use of our services and may notify other users of the platform about your activities on our websites and device applications
We collect information from other sources or third parties. In the course of serving you and operating our business, we may collect information from a variety of third parties. Either we or the third parties will generally obtain consent from you before collecting personal information from third-party sources, unless otherwise permitted or required by law. In some cases, the information we collect from these sources may be aggregated or anonymized so that it cannot be used to directly or indirectly identify any specific individual.
For example, we collect information from:
- Shipping companies
- Service Providers
- Marketing companies that help us learn about consumer interests and trends
- Companies that supplement our customer records with additional information
- Online advertising and analytics providers
- Social media platforms
- Mailing vendors
- Public records resources
- Suppliers of property information
- Our product suppliers and vendors
- Companies that help us process payments
- Service providers that operate on our behalf and collect information
- Financial institutions and other companies that help provide or support financial products and offers
- Security and fraud prevention providers
- Manufacturers and other businesses with which we conduct joint offers or programs
- Your friends and contacts*
*We may collect information about you from a friend, family member or contact. For example, this information may be supplied to us if your friend purchases something from us to send to you or if your friend provides your information through a refer-a-friend type feature. If you use one of these features, please ensure that you only submit information of individuals with whom you have a close personal or family relationship, who would be interested in receiving the communication, and who has authorized you to share their email address.
We collect information from Affiliates of The Home Depot. We may get information about you from a company controlled by, or under common control with, The Home Depot (our “Affiliates”). This may include information related to your interactions with our Affiliates, such as purchases and customer service inquiries. We collect this information to better understand your preferences, improve our products and services, and provide you with a more personalized experience across all our brands and platforms.
Here are some examples of how we use the information we collect:
- To respond to you and provide you with goods and services you request
- Fulfilling orders, ensuring proper delivery, or providing services (such as delivering an electronic copy of your receipt)
- Administering your participation in a contest, sweepstakes, or other promotion or sending you prizes you might have won
- Registering you for a particular website, loyalty program, or extended warranty service, or providing you with information regarding such programs or services
- Processing a return (learn more about our Returns Policy)
- Responding to a product or service review
- To provide you with an e-receipt for an in-store purchase. If you request an e-receipt for your in-store purchase, we will use the information you provide, such as your name and email address, to send you an electronic copy of your receipt and to possibly send you email marketing communications unless you have opted out of such communications.
- If you choose to provide us with your email address, we will use it to create custom audience lists to display targeted ads on third-party platforms such as Facebook. We do this by uploading a hashed version of your email address to the platform, which then matches it with a hashed email address that is associated with your user account on the platform. This process allows us to show you ads that are relevant to your interests and needs. To opt-out of custom audience lists or marketing communications, refer to the Your Privacy Preferences section of this Privacy and Security Statement.
To analyze the performance of our business, products, and services to identify areas for improvement, assess customer interests and to personalize your experience
- We draw inferences as to your possible preferences, interests, and other characteristics through data analysis, such as your favourite product categories and brands, preferred store locations, services and features, and engagement with our marketing content or digital services
- Using data collected from various sources, such as customer feedback, Internet activity and commercial information, to measure the performance of our business, products, and services and understand how our customers interact with us
- Using these insights to identify ways to make our products and services better so that we can improve and refine our offerings, including our websites, mobile applications, and applications for other connected devices
- Improving store layouts including through traffic pattern analysis
- Developing new ways to purchase and browse our products and services
- Personalizing the content on our digital services (e.g., websites, mobile applications, and connected device applications) and identifying the devices you use to interact with us, so you have a consistent experience no matter which service or device you’re using
- Recommending products and services that may interest you, including via electronic messages and on our websites and mobile apps
- Identifying your interests based on your interactions with us and information we have received from third parties or publicly available sources. For example, we may obtain statistical information from publicly available sources, such as government census data, and combine it with other data we collect from you, such as your postal code, to better understand our customers, personalize our communications and marketing campaigns
- Updating our product inventories to meet projected demand
To protect our business, our customers and the public
- In-store, parking lot, and facility cameras track store traffic, stock, and vehicles (in jurisdictions where permitted)
- Mitigating credit losses
- Confirming the identity of our customers who rent trucks or certain types of tools or equipment
- Retrieving unreturned tools or other equipment
- Detecting and preventing fraud (both in-store and online)
- Detecting and preventing malicious activities on our digital offerings and in your accounts
- Processing and tracking returns*
*You may be asked to present an acceptable form of government-issued photo identiﬁcation for purchases and/or returns. Acceptable forms of ID include unexpired Federal or Provincial issued Photo ID including Driver’s Licence, Military ID and Passports. Your ID number/province will be collected and used for the purpose of fraud detection and making return authorization decisions. This data is transferred to and accessible by The Home Depot’s third-party return verification system outside of Canada (including in the United States) and may be accessible under foreign laws. As a security measure, your ID number is electronically converted into a substitute number. This substitute number and province are the only data retained and used from the ID. We also use information collected in the course of merchandise returns to process and track returns, and to help detect and prevent fraud and otherwise administer our loss prevention program.
To deliver marketing communications and to tailor them to your interests
- Sending you communications about The Home Depot promotions or offers via regular mail, email, phone, or push notifications
- Sending you newsletters and other information you have requested
- Informing you of new in-store or digital products and service offerings
- Passing along information about offers from our Affiliates and other companies we think you might find interesting, such as extended warranties on products
- Personalizing communications using your identifiers (such as device identifiers and IP addresses), Internet activity, commercial information, demographic information, location information, and inferences.
You can update certain marketing communications preferences by following the instructions in Your Privacy Preferences section below.
For interest-based advertising across different channels
- Using data collected from cookies and similar technologies embedded on our websites, mobile applications and marketing emails, to deliver interest-based advertising across different channels, including on social media platforms
- Combining this data with information from other sources, such as commercial information and Internet activity, to better understand your preferences and interests and to provide you with more relevant advertising. For example, if you view a product on our website or mobile application, we may arrange for you to see ads for that product or similar products on our websites and applications, or third-party websites and applications.
- Creating custom audience lists based on email addresses provided to us, such as when you request an electronic receipt for an in-store purchase or create a user account. This involves sharing hashed versions of email addresses with platforms such as Facebook, which then match them with corresponding user data. This process allows us to show you more relevant and interest-based ads on these platforms.
To measure the performance of our marketing campaigns
- Using data collected from cookies and similar technologies to measure the performance of our marketing campaigns, such as email open rates, website traffic, click-through rates, impact on sales and customer engagement
- Combining this data with information from other sources, such as social media platforms, advertising partners, and analytics providers, to assess the performance of our marketing campaigns across different online channels, including ads displayed on third-party websites
- Leveraging these insights to improve our marketing campaigns and deliver more relevant content to our customers
To communicate with you about your account or our relationship
- Updating you regarding shipping, product availability, product recalls, warranty information, or rebates
- Sending you other transactional or relationship communications
For anonymization or de-identification purposes. We may also anonymize or de-identify your personal information and aggregate this anonymized or de-identified information with the anonymized or de-identified information of other persons. We use anonymized and de-identified information for internal business purposes, such as research and development, marketing, customer service, and business analytics.
For other uses we may disclose to you
- We may also use information for purposes disclosed to you at the point of collection, as authorized by you, or as otherwise permitted or required by law.
We may transfer your information to Canadian, US and foreign Affiliates and service providers who provide services on our behalf to provide you with our products and services, to manage our business and risks, to improve and market our products and services, to comply with our legal or regulatory obligations and as required or permitted by law.
Our Affiliates and service providers may have access to your personal information on a confidential basis to the extent necessary to perform their functions.
We might also authorize our service providers to collect information on our behalf. Some service providers may be located outside of your province or territory or outside of Canada. By providing your information to us, you are consenting to the transfer of your personal information to service provider facilities located outside of Canada (including the US), and as such the governments, courts or law enforcement or regulatory agencies in the applicable jurisdictions may be able to obtain disclosure of that information in accordance with their laws.
More particularly, we transfer your information to our service providers for the following purposes:
With our Affiliates for the purposes described in this Privacy and Security Statement
- To support business operations and streamline internal processes
- To conduct analytics and improve our products and services
- To offer products and services that are jointly developed or provided
With third parties who perform services on our behalf
- Delivery service providers who ship and deliver your orders
- Logistics and warehousing providers who manage inventory, storage, and order fulfillment
- Providers of security and payment services
- Shipping and mailing vendors
- Providers of digital analytics services, enabling us to better understand user behaviour, improve website performance, and make data-driven decisions
- Third parties that help us communicate with you through various communication channels to provide updates, promotions and relevant information
- Marketing and advertising companies that help us learn about our customers’ preferences and interests, personalize our marketing content or deliver advertisements
- Technology providers who develop, maintain and improve our systems and platforms
- Customer support providers, including call centers and installation service contractors, who address your inquiries, concerns, and provide professional assistance for product installations
- Vendors and manufacturers of our products and services, with whom we may share information to respond to your reviews and questions
- Legal and accounting service providers
With advertising, marketing and analytics providers
- To obtain marketing and analytics services enabling us to better understand how users interact with our digital services and marketing emails.
- To manage and deliver advertising, including by placing ads on the websites and applications you access
- To measure the effectiveness of our advertising campaigns
- To identify the ads you have already seen, so that you don’t have to see the same ads too many times
- To better understand your preferences and interests
- They may combine this data with information about your activities on their platforms and third-party websites, enabling more relevant advertising and tailored content across different channels and platforms.
- We may share hashed contact information, such as email addresses, with advertising platforms, such as Facebook, Pinterest or Google, to create custom audience lists. They will match this information with their user data (gathered in accordance with their own privacy policies and terms of service) to allow us to target ads to groups of individuals who have interacted with us.
For security and fraud prevention and debt recovery
- We will disclose information to detect, prevent, and investigate fraud or unlawful activities
- We may also disclose information to collect debts or recover unreturned rental items
At your direction
- For example, if you ask us to provide your information to a third party to facilitate the delivery of services or resolution of a dispute
For further information on the manner in which our service providers process your personal information, please contact our Privacy Officer as set out under the Contact Us section.
In certain circumstances, examples of which are described below, we disclose your information to third parties who may use it for their own purposes and subject to their own privacy policies.
In association with financial products and services
- We work with financial institutions and Fintech companies to offer financial products, such as The Home Depot credit card and home improvement loans
- These third parties also have their own privacy statements that set out the manner in which they will collect, use and disclose personal information
- We encourage you to review each third party’s privacy statement at the time you submit your application for such financial products
To provide extended warranty services
- If you purchase The Home Depot Extended Warranty Service, you will be required to provide information such as your name and address to the applicable warranty providers
- If you purchase products at The Home Depot we may disclose your information to the third party providers that offer extended warranty services for follow-up to offer such services at a future date
- We encourage you to review each third party’s privacy statement at the time you purchase an extended warranty
When we engage in business transactions with any successor or other third party
- In the event of a sale or transfer of all or part of our business to a successor entity, or any other business transaction that requires the transfer of personal information, we may share personal information in preparation for or as part of that transaction. Your information will be shared in accordance with applicable law and will only include information that is relevant and necessary to facilitate or complete the transaction.
To comply with our legal and regulatory obligations
- For example, we will disclose information to respond to a court order or subpoena. We may also disclose information if a government agency or investigatory body requests it in accordance with its legal authority.
- We may also disclose your personal information to establish, exercise or defend our legal interests, or as otherwise required or permitted by law
With businesses with whom we team up to provide products, services and promotions
- For example, we might disclose information to one of our Affiliates or another company who is running a promotion with us to offer products, services or promotions that may be of interest to you
With your consent
- For example, if you ask us to disclose your information to a third party to facilitate the delivery of services or resolution of a dispute
You have the right to withdraw your consent to our collection, use and disclosure of your information at any time, subject to legal or contractual requirements and reasonable notice. To exercise this right, please contact us at the address indicated in the Contact Us section below. If you withdraw your consent, it may affect our ability to provide you the products and services you have requested. In addition, we may continue to retain, use and disclose your personal information to comply with legal or regulatory requirements, to establish, exercise or defend our legal interests, or as otherwise required or permitted by law.
Depending on the specific features and services we provide and how you use them, we offer additional privacy choices. These choices include:
If you no longer wish to receive marketing communications from us, you can unsubscribe by clicking on the “Unsubscribe” link at the bottom of our emails. You may also unsubscribe by visiting our Email Marketing Preference Center or by contacting us directly at email@example.com. Please allow up to ten (10) days for your preferences to be processed. Even if you opt out of receiving marketing messages, we may still contact you for transactional purposes like confirming or following up on an order or service request, responding to customer service inquiries, or notifying you of product recalls or warranty information.
Registered website users can update their information at the My Account section of our website or request deletion or closure of their accounts by contacting Customer Support. If you are not a registered website user, you can contact Customer Support. Users of our mobile application can update their information or request deletion of their accounts by following the instructions provided in the mobile application. We maintain some of your data to comply with legal requirements and for other legal or business purposes.
Interest-Based Advertising and Analytics
Custom Audience Lists
Custom Audiences is a feature that allows us to serve personalized ads on social media and other third-party platforms to specific groups of individuals who have interacted with us. This involves sharing a list of hashed identifiers, such as email addresses, with these platforms, which then match them to user accounts on these platforms so that we can show our personalized ads to the matched group.
If you prefer not to be included in these lists, you may opt-out by visiting your ad settings on the relevant advertising platform (such as Facebook) or by contacting us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that if you opt-out of custom audience lists, you may still see ads on these platforms, but they will not be personalized based on custom list inclusion.
To the extent required or permitted by applicable law, you may access, update, correct inaccuracies in (or withdraw consent to the use of) your personal information in our records in the following ways:
- As a registered user with our websites, you can access your profile information at any time from the “Sign In” button at the top of any page on the website on which you are registered.
- By contacting us.
Our websites and mobile applications are not created for children. To our knowledge we do not collect information online from children under 18. If you are a parent or guardian and think we have information about your child, please email email@example.com.
We use a combination of physical, technical, and organizational safeguards to protect your personal information. These measures are adapted to the volume and sensitivity of the information, the purposes for which it is used, and the format in which it is stored, and include the following:
- A privacy framework governing the protection of personal information throughout its lifecycle. This framework defines the roles and responsibilities of our personnel, provides a process for dealing with complaints regarding the protection of the information, and addresses the retention and destruction of personal information.
- Internal policies and procedures that define the roles and responsibilities of our employees throughout the information life cycle and limit their access to such information on a “need-to-know” basis.
- Technical safeguards such as encryption, firewalls, passwords, antivirus software, and Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) technology to protect information transmitted over the internet. For example, when you place orders on our websites or through our mobile applications, all of your order information, including your credit card number and delivery address, is transmitted through the Internet using SSL technology, which causes your browser to encrypt your order information before transmitting it to our secure server. SSL technology, an industry standard, is designed to prevent someone other than operators of our websites from capturing and viewing your personal information.
- A designated Privacy Officer to monitor our compliance with applicable privacy laws.
- Employee privacy and data security training.
While we use appropriate means to protect our websites and your information, the Internet is not 100% secure. The measures we use are appropriate for the type of information we collect. We cannot promise that your use of our websites or mobile applications will be completely safe. We encourage you to use caution when using the Internet. Online access to your personal information is protected with a password you select. We strongly recommend that you do not share or re-use your password and that you use unique passwords for all of your online accounts.
We retain the personal information we collect for as long as reasonably necessary to fulfill the purposes set out in this Privacy and Security Statement or when the information was collected, unless a shorter retention period is required by law. We may retain personal information after our relationship with you ends. The length of retention may vary depending upon factors such as:
- Recordkeeping or legal compliance requirements;
- The need to resolve inquiries or complaints;
- Operating, expanding, and improving our business;
- The need to exercise or defend legal claims;
- The need to prevent fraud, protect assets, and promote security; and
- Protecting the rights or safety of you, us, or others.
If we no longer require your personal information for any of these purposes, we will delete or anonymize it in accordance with applicable law, unless we are required or permitted by law to keep it for a longer period.
The Home Depot Canada is based in Canada, but some of our Affiliates and service providers may process or store personal information on our behalf in other regions or countries, including the United States. For Quebec residents, please note that it is possible that this information could be communicated outside Québec. This means that your personal information may be subject to the laws of those jurisdictions, which may include laws that permit or require disclosure of personal information to government agencies, courts and law enforcement. We take reasonable steps to ensure that our Affiliates and service providers comply with applicable laws and maintain appropriate safeguards for your personal information wherever it is used or stored.
Our websites contain links to third-party websites that we do not control. This Privacy and Security Statement does not apply to the information practices of those websites. You should read the privacy policies of other websites carefully. We are not responsible for the personal information practices of third-party websites.
If you have additional questions or concerns about how we handle your personal information, or wish to access, update or correct inaccuracies in your personal information, or you wish to withdraw your consent, you can reach us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.You can write to us at:
You can also write to us at:
Home Depot of Canada Inc.
Attention: Privacy Office
400-1 Concorde Gate
The title and contact information of our Privacy Officer is:
Privacy Officer & General Counsel
Home Depot of Canada Inc.
Attention: Privacy Office
400-1 Concorde Gate
From time to time we may update our privacy policies, including this Privacy and Security Statement, to reflect changes in our information handling practices, to comply with applicable laws and regulations, or to improve the clarity and transparency of our policies. If we make any material changes to our Privacy and Security Statement, we will notify you by posting an updated copy on our websites and mobile applications and by any other means permitted or required by applicable law, such as by sending you an email, posting a notice in a prominent location on our websites or by providing notice through other communication channels that are reasonably likely to reach you. Please check our website periodically for updates.
What are cookies and similar technologies?
The tools that we, our vendors, and third parties use include:
- Browser cookies. Cookies are small text files that websites send to your computer or other connected device to identify your browser or to store information or settings. They can store information about your preferences and activities, such as login information, shopping cart items, language preferences and pages visited. We use both session cookies (which expire when you close your browser) and persistent cookies (which remain on your device until they expire or are deleted). We also use first-party cookies (set by us) and third-party cookies (set by advertisers, analytics providers and other third parties). Your browser may provide the ability to be notified when you receive certain types of cookies and how to restrict or disable certain cookies.
- Server logs, which record information about the device, browser, operating system, network, and other resources you use to access our digital services
- Web beacons and pixels. These are small electronic images deployed on websites and emails that collect information about how users interact with content. They are used to measure the effectiveness of our communications and marketing campaigns and to analyze how users interact with our digital services. Web beacons may also be used by some of our advertising partners and analytics providers to track activity on our digital services, such as the pages users visit, the links they click, and the content they view.
- Application software. Software in our mobile and other connected-device applications collects information about how you interact with the digital services
- Specifically, we, our service providers, and third parties use the information collected via these tools to:
- Facilitate the shopping cart and checkout process by storing your selections and purchases
- Analyze how our digital services are being used, so we can improve their performance and functionality
- Identify new visitors and users
- Recognize returning customers
- Learn how you came to access our digital services
- Keep you logged into our digital services
- Personalize your experience on our website, device applications, and third-party social networking websites, plug-ins and applications, such as by using the IP address of your devices to determine your approximate location and displaying content relevant to your region
- Tailor content and recommendations based on your interests and browsing behaviour, including interest-based advertising. As part of this customization, we may observe your behaviours on our device applications, our websites, or on other websites and applications. We may also get information about your browsing history and online activities from our trusted business partners and vendors
- Better understand our audience, our customers, our website visitors and device application users, and their respective interests, including by learning about your online activities across devices
- Measure the performance of our marketing campaigns across different online channels, such as our ads displayed on third-party websites or platforms
- Enable location-based features, such as providing correct pricing and ads for the local store you select
Online Interest-Based Ads
We work with digital advertising and marketing companies to provide you with ads tailored to your interests and that enhance your experience with us and with select third party advertisers. These ads may be displayed on websites or device applications operated by us or third parties, and they may be based on information about your activities or preferences collected by us or third parties. For example, if you visit another website and provide your postal code, you may see advertising for products available at The Home Depot Store near you on another website. We work with third parties to monitor and optimize ad delivery so that you don’t receive the same ad too many times and to help determine whether you were interested in the ads. As noted above, these third parties collect information with their own cookies, pixels, and related tracking technology.
To learn more about how to opt-out of interest-based advertising, please refer to the “Manage Cookies and Similar Technologies” section below.
Manage Cookies and Similar Technologies
This section provides you with information about the options available to you to control our tracking tools. We may update this section from time to time with information about new tools that may be available to you to register your preferences.
When you first access our website or mobile application from your computer, tablet or mobile device, a banner will be displayed informing you of your choices and how to consent to our use of functional cookies, analytics and performance cookies and targeting cookies. If you choose not to accept these cookies, some of the features of our website or mobile application may not function properly.
You may withdraw your consent for these non-essential cookies, or change the preferences you have set, at any time by selecting the appropriate settings on the Cookie Preferences page.
Your Browser Settings
Disable browser cookies: Your browser may give you the ability to control cookies, some of which may enable third parties to collect data about your use of our websites. You can adjust your browser settings to block all cookies. Certain browsers also allow you to limit the blocking of cookies to specific websites. Instructions for blocking cookies on commonly used browsers can be found at the links below. You will need to adjust the settings on each browser and on each device for which you wish to block cookies. Please note that disabling cookies may limit the functionality of our websites.
- Internet Explorer
- Microsoft Edge
- Chrome: Instructions for blocking cookies from a specific website
- Firefox: Instructions for blocking cookies from a specific website
Please note that if you choose to delete or disable cookies, some features of our digital services may not function properly. For example, you may not be able to save your preferences or login information, and some content may not be available to you.
We may use email tracking technologies such as pixels or web beacons in our emails to collect information such as the time and date an email was opened, the location of the recipient, and the links that were clicked. This data is used to analyze email campaign performance and to improve the content and relevancy of future email communications. To opt-out of email tracking, you can disable HTML or images in your email client. Please note that this may also disable images in the email, and the email content may not be fully displayed. Alternatively, you can choose to unsubscribe from our marketing emails.
Interest-Based Ads and Third-Party Opt-Out Features
You can use opt-out features provided by our advertising partners and other third parties to manage how your personal information is used for ad targeting purposes. For example, you can ask to opt-out of interest-based advertising delivered by third-party advertisers and ad networks who are members of the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada (DAAC) by using the DAAC’s AdChoices tool (http://youradchoices.ca/choices/).
Some of the social media platforms we work with may serve you with interest-based advertising on their platforms. In addition to or instead of the opt out mechanism linked above, you may be able to opt out of their interest-based advertising by changing your advertising preferences in the platforms after you log in.
Limit the use of mobile device advertising identifiers
You can adjust your advertising preferences on mobile devices through your device settings.
When you opt out of receiving targeted advertising, you may still see general audience advertising regarding our products and services. We may deliver advertising to a general audience or place advertising on websites and other platforms that relate to our advertisements. For example, if you opt out of targeted advertising and visit a do-it-yourself website, you may see advertising on the website that promotes products and services related to the content.
We use the Facebook Software Development Kit (SDK) to integrate various Facebook services into our mobile applications, such as Facebook Login and social sharing. The Facebook SDK also allows us to collect certain information about your use of our mobile applications, such as your IP address, browsing history, and device information. This information may be used by Facebook to provide analytics to us and to personalize and improve your experience with our mobile applications.
In addition, Facebook may correlate this information with people who use its products to improve the effectiveness of ad delivery models and determine the relevance of ads to people. Facebook may also use this information to personalize the features and content (including ads and recommendations) that it shows people on and off its platform. To learn more about how Facebook uses this data and how you can control Facebook’s usage of your information, you can visit this link: https://www.facebook.com/about/privacy. To opt-out of Facebook advertising on your mobile device, check your mobile device settings, as different manufacturers provide different ways to opt-in or opt-out of advertisements.
Your Choices Regarding Location Information
If you use our mobile websites, mobile applications, or other smart device applications we may collect location data obtained from your device. If you use our websites, we may collect location data obtained from your IP address. We use this location data to find our nearest store to you, provide product pricing and availability at our stores near you, provide you with coupons and other offers based on your location, and provide driving directions to our stores. Certain of our device applications may also use this information to determine if you are shopping in one of our stores. If you are, we may present you information relevant to in-store customers. For many devices, you can disable our collection of location information in the settings menu of your device or via device portals.
Our “Do Not Track” Policy
Some browsers have a “Do Not Track” feature that lets you tell websites that you do not want to have your online activities tracked. These browser features are not uniform, so we are not currently set up to respond to those signals.
As noted above, this Privacy and Security Statement applies to interactions between The Home Depot Canada Foundation (“Foundation”) and the Foundation’s donors, volunteers, grantees, and website visitors. The Foundation may collect information about you when you visit the Foundation website, apply for a grant, register for a fundraising event, volunteer for a charitable project or make a donation to the Foundation. The Foundation uses this information to process your request, learn about how people use and interact with the Foundation’s website, improve its services and communicate with you about the Foundation, grants, or Foundation-related events. Except as described in this section, the Foundation will not sell, share, or trade your name or other information that reasonably identifies you with any other party. The Foundation may share such information with trusted third parties (e.g., The Home Depot and service providers) that assist the Foundation in operating its website, reviewing grants, conducting its fundraising events or operating its charitable business. The Foundation permits these third parties to use the information only in support of and as directed by the Foundation. The Foundation may also share such information with a legal successor to the Foundation and with other third parties if we believe we have to in order to comply with law and legal process. The Foundation will not send donor mailings on behalf of other organizations.
View The Home Depot Canada Foundation page to read more about the Foundation and its support of our communities.